The summer months are wedding season in Minnesota. Just yesterday I was enjoying some time with friends at a local restaurant when a wedding party caught our eye across the street. Fun pink dresses and pink vests for the wedding party paired nicely with the bride’s pink high heels. When I got married, I remember all the gifts we received, and then all the returns of duplicates! Today’s organization is for those couples who would rather give back on their big day.
The I Do Foundation is a national pioneer in wedding occasion giving. The organization was launched on Valentines’ Day in 2002 by a group of nonprofit leaders to link engaged couples with charitable wedding choices. The organization works closely with corporate and nonprofit partners to provide a variety of ways for couples to give back and Celebrate Generously™. In 2009, I Do joined forces with JustGive.
I Do Foundation’s mission is to help engaged couples bring a charitable focus to their wedding. The goal is to share the joy and wealth of these wedding celebrations with nonprofit organizations by providing couples with unique and easy-to-use I Do services. The foundation believes that giving brings meaning to life and they have a passion for connecting soon-to-be-wed couples with the charities and causes they care about most.
More than 10% of all engaged couples visit I Do each year to learn how they can give back through their celebration. Over 100,000 couples have sent more than $5.7 million to charity through the I Do Foundation and its partners. The average donation for charity through an I Do wedding is about $420. The top five charities include: Doctors Without Borders, Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, American Cancer Society, Habitat for Humanity and the American Red Cross.
If you (or someone you know) is getting married in the near future, consider one of these no-cost ways to give back:
- Through I Do’s Charity Registry, couples can share the generosity of their guests with a favorite charitable cause. Guests make secure online donations through I Do and support the chosen organization as their wedding gift to the couple.
- A Gift Registry through the Wedding Channel allows the couple to register for gifts online with their partner stores and have up to 3% of guests’ gift purchases donated to their selected charity.
- Favors for Charity allows couples to honor their guests and share their values by making a donation to a favorite charity for their wedding favors. They’re a great way to get guests involved in causes that are close to the couple’s heart.
- Charity Gift Cards can be given to thank attendants. These GiveNow charity gift card is a green gift for good that shows a couple’s appreciation by giving back by allowing the recipient to redeem it to the charity of their choice!
- You can also shop for good for your honeymoon, invitations, and more to donate a portion to charity.
- The I Do website also offers several tips and suggestions on giving to your local community on your big day. Some tips include recycling your wedding dress, donating your leftover food and donating your flowers.
Weddings aren’t the only way to give back. JustGive also offers memorial registries to allow you to honor a loved one or gift registries to give back on your birthday, anniversary, or other special occasion.
You can learn more about the I Do Foundation on their website, www.idofoundation.org. You can also connect with them on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. You can learn more about JustGive on their website, www.justgive.org, and connect with them on Facebook and Twitter.