RSS

Random Acts of Kindness

13 Feb

February 17 is Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Day in the United States. The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation has designated this week as RAK week!

I encourage each of you to do one thing this week for someone else.  Buy coffee for the next person in line, take cookies to a neighbor, take a meal to someone who lives alone, or scrape the windows of the car next to you in the parking lot (for those in the winter months right now).  If you want even more ideas for kindness, take a look here.

After your random act, stop by to share your story in the comments!

Update: Let’s keep the stories going.  Stop back any day of the year to share your Random Acts of Kindness – either given or received!  I am continuing to add additional stories in the comments.

About these ads

32 Comments

Posted by on February 13, 2012 in Other

Tags: , , , , ,

32 responses to “Random Acts of Kindness

1. Therese S.

February 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I love RAK day. Like you stated, I like to go through Starbucks drive-thru and pay for my drink and the person behind me :)

• blogunteer

February 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm

One day someone paid for my drink, so I paid for the next person. The lady at the drive thru thanked me and said it had been going on for quite a while! I still wonder how many people bought someone else’s drink that day :)

2. Marti Murphy

February 13, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I stumbled on your sight. Love the reminder about RAK. I try to do one at least every week or so, but I try and keep it a secret. I know that I have been on the receiving end several times, and it feels so good. Someone helped me load a BIG bag of dog food into my truck, gave me a lottery scratcher ticket, etc.

3. wayne

February 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Was happy to stumble this post! Visiting from STT.

4. Angela

February 14, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I did not know there was a RAK week, but makes sense because there is a day for everything. I think it is great! I have never had anyone pay for a coffee for me… and I haven’t done that either. You have given me something to think about, and I may do that the next time I am in line buying a coffee at McDonald’s or somewhere. Stumbled this post.

5. Marsha

February 14, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Wow, I had no clue that there was such a week. I think that it is wonderful. I am not sure what my random act will be, but, I can’t wait to come back and tell you all about it! I found you on Stumble Tumble Tuesday

6. We're So Inspired

February 16, 2012 at 2:18 pm

What I love about random acts of kindness is that it can be as simple as just smiling at someone as you walk past them on the street or saying good morning. Here are two great quotes that are very appropriate for RAK week.
    “Do something wonderful, people may imitate it.” ~ Albert Schweitzer
    “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” ~ Aesop
    Happy RAK Week!

7. Brian

February 17, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Made dinner and did the dishes without prompting, does that count for something? Was also nice to that one person in our office who often isn’t :)

8. Lauren

February 18, 2012 at 10:05 am

I was in line at a Hallmark store recently, and a very elderly lady picked up a bag of chocolate-covered, butterscotch crusted pretzels and told her husband how they are the most delicious, amazing treats, but that she did not want to be tempted to buy them. Her husband told her “nooo, nooo” and she put them down and got in line behind me. I picked them up discreetly, added them to my purchase, and then turned to her, handed her the pretzels, and with a wink whispered “never deprive yourself!” Her big smile and joyful laughter is a nice go-to memory for me when I am having a rough day!

9. blogunteer

February 20, 2012 at 9:12 am

Love the stories! Keep them coming!

I had a busy week last week, so random acts of kindness weren’t on the top of my to-do list, but I did do several small things such as holding the door for the next person, called a store and told the manager about good service I received from a specific employee, and I sent some bookmarks to my daughter’s teacher to give out to her students.

10. Pamela

February 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I’m stopping by from Stumble Tumble Tuesday and just stumbled you – great post! My post is http://www.stilldatingmyspouse.com/2012/02/16/marital-intimacy/ .

Thanks,
    Pamela
    Still Dating My Spouse

11. Nicole Elliott

February 21, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Visiting from STT, I love this concept–haven’t been out and about yet but will remember this tomorrow! :) My post is here: http://www.wyominggirlcoastiewife.com/2010/01/pom-wonderful-pomegranate-review.html

12. avoncatalogmaryMary Bertsch

February 22, 2012 at 9:26 am

Love this idea. I’m doing it today!

13. Deanna

February 24, 2012 at 9:09 am

Wow this is a great idea! I am going to do something this weekend… but, we do RAK whenever we can. We know what it’s like to struggle, so when we have the means to help someone else out, we are more than willing to do it. It’s a great feeling!

14. blogunteer

February 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Here is a blog post that I came across…the post itself isn’t the act of kindness, it is all the offers in the comments: http://nolafemmes.com/2012/02/23/litupparade/

And a follow up story: http://www.nola.com/mardigras/index.ssf/2012/02/muses_dance_groups_honor_girl.html

15. blogunteer

February 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Here is a video on kindness – How do you want to be remembered? http://www.youtube.com/v/N_OZUaQondo

16. blogunteer

February 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm

This week I witnessed something that reminded me how much I expect people to be kind and how it doesn’t always happen. I was in line at the cafeteria, the cashier told the man ahead of me to have a nice day and he responded with a “yeah” rather than a “you too”. I always thank the cashiers and tell them to have a great day (or night) – it is a simple kind gesture.

17. blogunteer

February 29, 2012 at 11:11 am

This morning I tried to buy someone a coffee using a buy one get one coupon – and since she didn’t have cash to split it with me – she bought it for me instead.

18. blogunteer

February 29, 2012 at 11:13 am

Here is a way to share random acts as a family – Boom Boom cards! They are a deck of cards that each have something to do on them. Then you pass along the card and you can track them as the good spreads!

I did a review of these a while back on the blog: http://blogunteer.com/2011/11/30/boom-boom-cards/

19. blogunteer

March 13, 2012 at 10:53 am

Here is a great poem about the ripples of kindness that was posted by another blogger today:

20. blogunteer

March 14, 2012 at 9:27 am

21. blogunteer

March 30, 2012 at 11:56 am

Here is a touching story about a man saving ducks…

22. blogunteer

April 5, 2012 at 8:00 am

23. blogunteer

April 7, 2012 at 9:03 am

I try to hold doors for people each time I can: http://kindness365.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/hold-a-door-for-someone-today/

24. blogunteer

April 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Lose a book on purpose! What a great way to be kind: http://thedailykind.com/lose-a-book-on-purpose/

25. blogunteer

June 13, 2012 at 11:39 am

A blog post from 50 Good Deeds about a movie promoting acceptance of all kinds of families: http://50gooddeeds.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/family-portraits/

26. blogunteer

June 13, 2012 at 11:57 am

See how kindness played a role in this story, From Homeless to Harvard: http://gyatoday.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/talk-about-spunk/

27. Garie Thomas-Bass

July 7, 2012 at 3:37 am

The book I wrote seems to go down the same path as your concept.
    My book is entitled Purposeful (Not Random) Acts of Kindness (AKA Beginning Steps for Overcoming Spoiled Brat-aholism)

Even though our book may not be considered politically correct, it is written with the hope that some ideas that used to be called “common sense” will again become the behavior of choice. There is one rule presented, in a truthful yet humorous fashion” for each week of the year.

The fifty-two “suggestions” (or, as we say, “Finally using the brain that your mother gave you!!”) presented within these pages are recognizable because everyone has had to experience the negative consequences that happen when someone does not remember to be neighborly in society. (For example: “Stop tossing your trash out the car window, knucklehead!!”)

Our hope is that each person will use in his/her life some of these straightforward and easily applied ideas after it is understood why they are important. Truthfully, these rediscovered actions will allow us to live together in society with as little confrontational stress as possible. Our former “lower” thinking will be replaced by the much more kind “higher” thinking. If the “kind way” does not convince the reader maybe reading the “skull” section will be needed to reinforce the lesson.

I hope you enjoy our book.
    Our website is purposefulnotrandom.com