When someone in your family needs to spend time in a hospital away from home, the last thing you want to worry about is where to sleep or how to afford living away from home during medical treatments. Today’s organization offers help families who have a loved one undergoing medical care in St Louis.
The mission of HavenHouse St Louis is to provide the comfort of home and a community of support to patients and families that travel to St. Louis for medical care. St Louis is a hub of technological advances in medicine and draws people from all around the world for medical care. HavenHouse has also earned an international reputation for service and care.
The HavenHouse facility is 25,000 square feet. It contains 32 spacious bedrooms, all with private baths and operates year round, 24 hours daily. This allows families to check in any time of the day or night.
According to Paula Kinney, the Director of Family Services at HavenHouse, “The concept of a hospitality house was developed because there were no options for patients in families in the West County area.”
HavenHouse opened their doors in 2004. Families staying at HavenHouse typically do not have the resources to pay for hotel rooms and restaurant meals in addition to significant medical expenses. HavenHouse eases the burdens of trying to make ends meet while away from home by providing a relaxing home-like environment where patients and their families can retreat, be nourished and comforted by home-cooked meals. HavenHouse also provides around-the-clock emotional support.
On the HavenHouse website you can read testimonials from the families who have stayed at their facility. One testimonial is from Avery Lansdown’s family. Avery was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of two and referred to St. Louis Children’s Hospital for treatment. The stress and terrifying fear of having a child with a life-threatening illness was almost crippling for Avery’s parents, but one worry – where to stay – vanished when they were referred to HavenHouse.
There are many ways that you can help HavenHouse.
- They are always looking for volunteers to help with cleaning.
- Groups or individuals can collect supplies such as laundry detergent, sheets, towels, and anything else that would be used in a traditional home.
- On weekends HavenHouse has groups of volunteers donate and prepare meals. Two complimentary meals are provided each day. You can learn more about the weekend meal program on their website.
- HavenHouse also frequently has projects for photographers, graphic designers, web designers, handymen, and more! You can find a list of current volunteer opportunities on their website.
- HavenHouse also keeps a current wish list of items they need on their website.
- You can also make a donation directly through the HavenHouse website.